How can we help?Let's talk
Research Analyst/Data Scientist
Do you want to help promote transparency and clearer choices in health care? Come work on a team that’s making it happen! HSRI is a nonprofit that’s been researching, evaluating, and improving the quality and capacity of public health and social service systems for 40 years. And we’re looking for a full-time Research Analyst to be part of our health care research team—an innovative, expanding team within our organization.
You’ll use big data to identify health care trends and costs for states and communities. You’ll also review data for outliers and inconsistencies, provide context through literature searches and reference to industry standards, and help create dynamic data visualizations and reports.
Our ideal candidate communicates well both in person and in writing; manages work across projects with multiple timelines; develops and maintains positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, and funders; and listens and contributes to a sharing of diverse perspectives. Interest in the health care and public health field and working with insurance claims data is essential.
- Conduct health care claims data analysis for states and communities
- Create data visualizations to highlight trends, identify disparities, and call attention to cost savings
- Perform routine and ad hoc data quality and assurance checks
- BA/BS in a business, public health, economics, or social science discipline with an emphasis in statistics and at least three years of professional experience in quantitative research (or a master’s degree plus one year of experience)
- Experience analyzing commercial, Medicare and/or Medicaid medical, dental, and/or behavioral health claims
- Intermediate to advanced SQL and SAS programming skills
- Experience using business intelligence tools such as Tableau or Spotfire
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Attention to detail and strong commitment to high-quality work
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and technical communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Intermediate to advanced expertise with data visualization software such as Tableau, Spotfire, ArcGIS, Microsoft BI, or a similar program
HSRI is an equal opportunity employer, and complies with the ADA and applicable state laws intended to protect those with disabilities. Our offices are accessible by public transportation and accessible to people with disabilities.
Please email your cover letter and resume/CV to email@example.com, with Research Analyst in the subject line. Or send your materials to:
Human Services Research Institute
2336 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02140
No phone calls please; email contact only.< Back